Clinical research on Thai Traditional Massage
Abstract from « Traditional Thai Massage» /Thai spa at EVR
MD Pennapa Subsharoen/President Instititute of Traditional and
Alternative Medicine Ministry of Public Health Thailand
Member of World Health Organisation Comitee for Traditional Medicine Evaluation:
«1- In 1981, Krungkrai Janepanich and Prasertsak Tuchinda, professors at "Mahidol University” Health Science/ Bankok : Clinical study on the efficacy of Thai massage to blood circular system in 45 healthy persons, 19-72 years old. Giving a massage on the front lower legs together with constantly pressing on the right upper leg for 1 minute known as “Opening wind channel” for 5 minutes while the volunteer lying position.
It was found that Thai massage was to increase temperature of both feet, to decrease the heart rate, to decrease the maximum point of blood pressure by statistic significantly in male. For female, there was not change in the maximum point of blood pressure.
2. In 1984, Prayotch Boonsinsuk found that Thai massage by pressing on the lower back pain basic points is able to reduce backache at the waist level.
3. In 1990, Professors Krungkrai Janepanich and Prasert Tuchinda: Study on the efficacy of Thai massage on the neck and shoulder to the pulse rate and blood pressure. It was found that the pulse rate and blood pressure were significantly decreased. The symptoms of head: dizziness or headache, the symptoms of neck: stretch, strain, and neck pain, the symptoms of shoulders: tighten and stiff were relieved as well. All patients could bow, lift, turn left and turn right their head. In addition, all volunteers got well and they felt their brains, heads, hearts, and eyes better. They also breathed easily and felt soft at their shoulders and necks. It was concluded that they satisfied for Thai massage.
4. In 1992, Professor Vichai Ungpinijpong and staff: Study on the efficacy of physiology on back pain patients causing from the vertebrae degeneration and back muscle inflammation for 38 patients. It was found that Thai massage was to increase the temperature on skin and trunk elastic, and to relieve pain.
5. In 1992, Professor Prayatch Boonsinsuk and staff : Study on the efficacy of Thai massage on the patients of 3 days muscle and joint pain. It was found that the physical temperature, pulse rate, maximum and minimum hypertension was not changed. The pain level was reduced about one level (from 6 levels) after giving a massage. The patients of muscle pain felt better than that of other pain. After the third massage, the pain symptom was approximately decreased 2 levels.
6. In 1994, The Center of Thai Traditional Medicine, Prachinburi Province, studying the efficacy of applying royal Thai massage in public health care services. It was found the result of royal Thai massage that the patients got normal 60.16%, got better 28.98%, got no well 10.86%.
7. In 1997, Dr Pennapa Subcharoen and staff: Study on the application of Thai traditional medicine theory to give the patients service in 29 public health care services. It was found that 51.8% of health care services had Ayuraved doctors, Thai massage, herbal steam bath, herbal hot compress and herbal drug, as well as producing herbal drug.
8.In 1988 , Narumol Leelayuwat and stqaffl: Study on the efficacy of physiology of Thai massage for relieving pain, muscle function and complication in 300 patients, 18-60 years old, having back pain at least 6 months and stopping taking drug at least 7 days. It was found that the efficacy of relieving pain was approximately reduced one level continuously at least 2 day and increased the flexibility of muscle. It was not found the complication or physical pathology. It had only Short-term effect such as tiredness, cool, pain, sore, tight, back pain, and numb. However, these symptoms would disappear after giving a massage.
9.In 1998, Yodchai Boonprakob and staff, comparative studying the efficacy of the changing o flexibility in back and hips muscle between Thai massage by the masseur and massaging instrument in 30 healthy volunteers and no physical pathology of back pain. It was found that both Thai massage by the masseur and massaging instrument were to increase the muscle inflexibility of back and hips.»